High School sessions are held Monday - Wednesday from 8:30am - 3pm, except where noted; Middle School and Spanish sessions are held Monday and Tuesday from 8am - 2:30pm, except where noted.
Students need to arrive ten minutes early and bring a bag lunch. (Snacks and water will be provided).
Click here to view the 2022 -2023 program schedule.
Day 1 Topics:
- The physiological and psychological effects of substance use on health, family and community, and the concept of disease.
- Arlington Public Schools disciplinary policy related to substance use and the potential ramifications of getting caught by the police.
- Brain development and substance use.
- Routes of administration and rates of absorption.
- Consequential thinking.
- Guest speaker: School Resource Officer.
Day 2 Topics:
- Impact of tobacco, alcohol, and/or drugs on teens' lives, and the possible consequences of further involvement with substances.
- Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory (SASSI).
- Drug classification of illegal drugs and over-the-counter medications.
- Concepts of drug synergism, cross-tolerance, and the risk of mixing drugs.
- Binge drinking (What is a standard drink? and the ABCs of Blood Alcohol Content).
- Continuum of use.
- All things vaping.
- Guest speaker: Defense Lawyer.
Day 3 Topics:
- Personal values and behavior.
- Stress, defense mechanisms, and positive coping skills.
- Risk factors and goal-setting.
- Refusal skills and high-risk situations.
- Guest speaker: Public Defender.
Note: The middle school session will cover this information in a condensed format.